Adult: 1–2 mm

Identification marks

Barklice are light in colour and have a delicate body. Their head is relatively large and has antennae.  Species living indoors do not usually have wings. The larva is similar to the adult.


Most species live in the wild in a rotting tree, for example. Some species of barklice, dustlice (Psyllipsocus ramburi) and booklice (Lepinotus patruelis), live in apartments, warehouses and various institutions.



The barklice feed on mould fungus and vegetable and insect waste. They can also be seen in grain products. They reproduce in warm and damp spaces. If there are a large number of barklice, it may be a sign of moisture damage. They do not usually survive in dry spaces, where the mould forms slowly.


If the dustlice are discovered in food, it is unpleasant. They do not bite humans. Barklice may cause allergies, itching and rash for those, who have become sensitive to them.

Prevention and extermination

Remove the object that attracted the insects, such as a bag of flour from a damp storeroom or a water leakage that causes mould. You can also use pesticide aerosols that include pyrethrin or dry the area and vacuum clean it.